1. Check with counselor to see if you qualify for a fee waiver prior to starting the process of applying and taking entrance exams.
2. Apply for college: www.applytexas.org
3. Register for a college entrance exam.
4. Apply for financial aid: https://fafsa.gov/
Beginning the 2020-21 school year, the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) or TASFA (Texas Application for State Financial Aid) completion will be added to the requirement for high school graduation. There are three waiver options to the requirement:
1) a student’s parent or guardian submits a signed form opting the student out, 2) the student opts themselves out if they are 18 or otherwise not a minor, or 3) a school counselor authorizes the student “to decline to complete and submit the financial aid application for good cause, as determined by the school counselor.
Watch informational video regarding HB3 FAFSA or TASFA completion requirements: https://youtu.be/unL1iJeBFAU
Watch FAFSA video
5. Apply for Local and College Scholarships: http://www.newtonisd.net/39953_2
6. Request a transcript be sent to the college of your choice. The forms are located outside the office in a black 3-ring binder.
7. Dual credit students will request a transcript be sent to the college of their choice in addition to their high school transcript.
8. Get a meningitis vaccine and mail/fax a copy to the college.
9. Once accepted, apply for student housing on campus. A meningitis vaccine is required.
10. Sign up for your college’s orientation.